Shopping Sheet FAQ
Military Shopping Sheet FAQs for Students
The Shopping Sheet is a federal-sponsored consumer tool for military students and their families designed to simplify information about education costs and financial assistance students are expected to receive. The Shopping Sheet was created to help students make an informed decision about funding their education.
Please see below for frequently asked Shopping Sheet questions.
- Why am I receiving a Shopping Sheet if I am already attending Kaplan University?
During the Kaplan Commitment three week trial period, students are not fully admitted to the University nor are they financially obligated for tuition, therefore, no award letter was created. Although you started attending classes, you are still required to receive the Shopping Sheet prior to being fully admitted as a student.
- Is there any action required from me regarding the Shopping Sheet once I receive it?
No, the Shopping Sheet is sent for informational purposes only. You should refer to your latest award letter for details regarding your funding plan.
- If I am only using my military benefits (i.e. Tuition Assistance, MYCAA, or VA Benefits), am a cash paying student, or I do not want to fill out a FAFSA, why am I receiving the Shopping Sheet?
The Shopping Sheet will be provided to all students identified with a military classification (active-duty, veteran, or active-duty spouse) regardless of their method of paying for their education. However, if you are not using any Title IV funds to cover tuition, the Shopping Sheet will still provide valuable information regarding tuition costs and fees.
- Why does the Shopping Sheet have items such as housing, meals, books, supplies, and transportation listed as cost of attendance if this is an online university?
The cost of attendance is an estimated cost of total expenses for all students attending a university regardless of the institution. Even though we are an online university, the cost of attendance will still encompass items a student may need to attend school. The Shopping Sheet does not include any military education benefits.
- How will my GI Bill housing allowance be determined?
Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. For more information regarding your eligibility for BAH and amounts, please contact the Veterans Administration (VA) at 888.442.4551.
- How will my scholarship award be calculated into my Shopping Sheet?
Scholarships and grants will be deducted from the total tuition and fee charges before any additional aid is awarded.
- How can I apply for additional grants such as state grants or school grants that are listed on this Shopping Sheet?
To apply for a state grant, you will have to apply directly with your specific state. You can also reach out to your assigned Education Advisor and/or Admissions Advisor to determine if there are any additional scholarships you may qualify for. If you are a military student receiving a discounted tuition rate, you may not be eligible for additional scholarships.
- Is the amount listed as net costs for the entire education at Kaplan University or just for the 2016-17 Award Year?
Neither, the amount
undernet costs is for the current academic year (defined as 3 terms).
- Will the Shopping Sheet Net Costs consider transfer credit to the University?
The Shopping Sheet, along with your award letter, will be provided once financial aid packaging is complete. If an official transfer credit evaluation is completed prior to packaging, this information will be reflected within the Shopping Sheet. Unofficial priority audit evaluation results are not considered during the financial aid packaging process.
- How can I apply for Federal Work-Study?
Kaplan University online does not offer Federal Work-Study. However, Kaplan University ground campuses and Kaplan University Learning Centers do currently offer this program.
- How will GI Bill benefit eligibility and rate of pursuit be incorporated into the Shopping Sheet?
Military benefits are not included on the Shopping Sheet. Once you complete your benefit application and it is processed by the DoD or the VA, our Financial Aid department will create a customized award letter based on the availability of funds as it pertains to the type of military benefit expected to be applied towards tuition.
- As a Veteran, how will I be able to use concurrent enrollment? How will my Shopping Sheet be calculate
Military benefits are not included in the Shopping Sheet. If you are considering applying for concurrent enrollment, please contact our Military Student Finance Group at 877.855.8648 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information as it relates to the Shopping Sheet.
- I am a Spouse or Dependent with approved Chapter 33 Transferability of Education Benefits? How will my Shopping Sheet be calculated?
Military benefits are not included on the Shopping Sheet. The “Military and/or National Service benefits” referenced under “Other Options” of the Shopping Sheet pertain to benefits you may eligible for. All approved entitlements will be listed in your official award letter.
- How do I know how much I am eligible for in loans?
Loan amounts differ based on your student status by academic year and eligibility. Please reference the “Loan Options” section of the Shopping Sheet or reference the maximum annual and total loan limits chart for subsidized and unsubsidized loans available on Federal Student Aid.
- How can I apply for the Federal Perkins Loan?
Kaplan University online does not participate in the Federal Perkins Loan program.
- How can I learn about repaying my loans?
Please see the “Repaying Your Loans” section on the right-hand side of the Shopping Sheet. It will lead you to information that can help you understand loan repayment.
- If I would like to borrow more money than my net costs, am I able to do this?
You will automatically be packaged up to your cost of attendance. If there is a credit, the credit will be sent to you. However, you cannot be packaged in excess of your cost of attendance.
- What if I no longer want to receive loans?
If you originally completed a Master Promissory Note with Direct Loans and no longer wish to receive loans, you can send an email to email@example.com. If you already received loans that you do not want, you have the option to return those funds to your lender. Kaplan University will not refund loans that have already been paid to your account.