Frequently Asked Questions
Here you will find some answers to commonly asked questions about graduation. Ceremony specific questions such as guests, caps and gowns, schedule, and travel should be directed to the coordinator of the ceremony, as each location has their own processes.
See below for frequently asked questions about the graduation ceremony.
- When is graduation?
Kaplan University holds graduation ceremonies throughout the year at various locations that online and campus students can attend. Please visit the Upcoming Ceremonies page for upcoming ceremony dates and information. Dates are posted as soon as they are scheduled.
- Am I required to attend graduation?
No, the ceremonies are celebratory events and graduates are not required to attend.
- How do I know if I am eligible to participate in the ceremony?
Candidates may walk in the graduation ceremony provided they have completed all degree requirements by the date of the ceremony. If you are not sure when your degree will be complete, please contact Education Advising to go over your credits and requirements. Online students can reach Education Advising at 866.522.7747. Ground campus and Learning Center students should contact their academic team for assistance.
- Can I attend a ceremony if I have a balance on my student account?
Yes. Owing a balance only prevents graduates from receiving their diploma, and the actual diplomas are not handed out at the ceremonies.
- What do I have to do to attend a graduation ceremony?
Students who want to attend a ceremony must register by the posted deadline for the ceremony they choose to attend. Visit the Upcoming Ceremonies page for registration details.
- How can I get invitations for family members who need to apply for travel visas?
While there are no formal invitations sent out, graduates can contact their ceremoony's coordinator to request a letter be given to the embassy.
- Can I attend a ceremony at a later date?
Graduates may attend any ceremony that falls after their degree completion date.
- Will my name be announced if I don’t attend the ceremony?
No, due to the volume of graduates eligible to attend the ceremony, only the names of those in physical attendance will be announced. However, all eligible graduates’ names will be listed in the ceremony program.
Caps and Gowns, Diplomas, and Transcripts
See below for frequently asked questions about ordering your cap and gown and how to obtain a copy of your transcripts.
- Do I have to wear a cap and gown?
Yes, all graduates attending a ceremony must wear the traditional cap and gown. The ordering process varies by location, so check with your ceremony’s coordinator for specific details.
- Can I purchase a tassel only?
Tassels come with the cap and gown set however there is an option to purchase the tassel separately on the Jostens site.
- Do I need a hood?
Hoods are part of the master’s-level cap and gown package and come with the set when ordered through Jostens. A hood can be ordered separately for those who already have a cap and gown.
- Can I purchase a cap and gown if I am not attending a ceremony?
Students not attending a ceremony who would like a cap and gown can purchase a set through Jostens’ Customer Service at 800.854.7464. They can let the representative know that they are not attending a ceremony to avoid rush shipping fees. Note: if attending a ceremony, check the ordering process for your location to be sure proper protocol is being followed.
- When will I receive my diploma, and do I have to attend a graduation ceremony to receive it?
Diplomas are mailed by the Office of the Registrar approximately 8 weeks after completion of the final class and all program and financial requirements have been confirmed by University officials according to the University Catalog. For questions regarding diplomas, please email the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866.522.7747 (Toll Free). Diplomas are not distributed at the graduation ceremonies.
- Where can I order a frame for my diploma?
Diploma frames can be ordered from the Student Store. Click here to view frames and other alumni items.
- What size will my diploma be?
Diplomas are 8.5” x 11.0"
- How do I obtain a copy of my transcripts?
Official transcripts can be ordered through Parchment Exchange. Please see the “Transcripts” link in the Registrar and Credits page of KU Campus for ordering instructions.
See below for frequently asked questions about academic honors.
- How do I know if I have earned academic honors?
Associate’s- and bachelor’s-level graduates who complete their degrees with cumulative grade point averages (GPAs) of 3.70 or higher will achieve academic honors status. Certificate- and master’s-level graduates are not eligible for academic honors. Academic honors statuses will be noted on diplomas and transcripts.
The academic honors statuses are as follows:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.70–3.79—Cum Laude
- Cumulative GPA of 3.80–3.99—Magna Cum Laude
- Cumulative GPA of 4.0—Summa Cum Laude
- Will I be recognized for academic honors at the ceremony?
Yes, please check with your ceremony's coordinator for specific recognition details.
- Can I wear my honor society cords at the ceremony?
Yes, graduates who are members of an honor society may wear their honor society regalia (cords, stoles, pins, etc.) at the ceremony. Graduates must be existing honor society members prior to their final term.
Purchasing Additional Graduation Items
See below for frequently asked questions about how to purchase other items for your graduation.
- Where can I purchase additional items, such as printed graduation announcements, class ring, and diploma frame?
Printed announcements, class rings, and diploma frames can be ordered through Jostens.
- Where can I purchase Kaplan University branded items?
Kaplan University branded items such as t-shirts, sweatshirts, totes, and more can be ordered through the Student Store.