Military FAQ's

Get answers to questions about becoming a military student at Kaplan University. For Military Shopping Sheet FAQs, click here.

  • Am I eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill's monthly housing allowance if I attend Kaplan University?

    As of October 1, 2011, eligible veterans who meet certain conditions can receive 50% of the basic housing allowance average.

    Military Benefits and Financial Aid

  • Is financial assistance readily available?

    Yes. Speak with your base education officer first to see if you qualify for military tuition assistance

    Our military tuition rates are designed so that servicemembers and veterans can fund their education using military educational benefits in most cases. The Military Student Service Center can provide additional details about military educational benefits.

    If you are not eligible for military benefits, Kaplan University can assist you with other forms of financial assistance available for those who qualify such as Title IV federal financial aid and federal, state, and private lending programs.

    Paying For School

  • Will Kaplan University accept transfer credits?

     Yes. We accept eligible transfer credits from regionally and nationally accredited colleges and universities that are applicable to your specific program. Please see the University Catalog for the Transfer of Credit policy.

  • Can I receive college credit for military training?

    Yes. We grant credit for eligible military experience based on CCAF and ACE approval, when applicable to your program.  

  • What are my financial obligations if I decide to drop a course or withdraw from school?

    Determining the cost, if any, for dropping course will vary based on the following situations:

    1. Dropping due to a change in orders or deployment
    2. Dropping a course but maintaining enrollment in the University
    3. Withdrawing from the University entirely

    Students who must drop or withdraw from courses due to a change in military orders and, as a result, are unable to attend class for more than 14 days will not be responsible for any tuition or fees incurred for the term in which the military order takes effect. A change in orders includes mobilization, activation, or a temporary duty assignment. Students must notify their Education Advisor of the change in orders and provide a fax or email copy of a valid order of duty. Please note: the above policy does not apply to situations that result in an absence of fewer than 14 days. In these situations, students should contact their instructor(s) for alternate assignments to be completed upon return from military activities.

    Dropping a course but maintaining enrollment in the University

    Students who drop a course but continue their studies can drop courses without any financial obligation during the first 7 days of the term. After this, you will be 100% responsible for the cost of the course.

    Withdrawing from the University entirely
    Students Withdrawing Refund
    Prior to the first day of the term* 100% Tuition
    During the first 6 calendar days of the first term (first-time students only) 100% Tuition
    During the first day through 10% of the term 90% Tuition†
    After more than 10% and through 25% of the term 50% Tuition†
    After more than 25% and through 50% of the term 25% Tuition†
    After more than 50% and through 100% of the term 0% Tuition

    *Day 7 for Florida residents.

    Less $100.00 administrative fee.

    About Federal Financial Aid
    If you withdraw or are dismissed from the University up through the 60% point in any payment period and received federal financial aid in the form of grants or loan funds, federal law requires that the University, and in some cases you, the student, return funds you did not earn to the U.S. Department of Education. Please see the University Catalog for additional information.

  • Is technical support available? How can I access it?

    Technical Support representatives are on call every day to answer questions, assist with website navigation, and perform troubleshooting. You can reach them with an email to your Education Advisor, live online chat, or by telephone at 866.527.5268 (Toll Free).

  • How long will it take me to complete my degree?
    KU Catelog_s
    View the Kaplan University Catalog

    While that can depend on how many credits you may already have before you begin a program, full-time students will generally complete their degree as follows:

    • Associate's degree in approximately 2 years
    • Bachelor's degree in approximately 4 years
    • Master's degree in approximately 18 months to 2 years

    Many military students are awarded college credit for military training, CLEP or DANTES examinations, or previous coursework, and earn their degrees much sooner. See the University Catalog for Transfer of Credit policy.

  • Is Kaplan University accredited?

    Yes. Kaplan University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (


  • Will my entire education at Kaplan University be online?

     Excluding certain programs, every phase of your education, including posting assignments, interacting with professors and classmates, ordering books, conducting library research, and more, is 100% online. Only the School of Nursing, School of Health Sciences, and School of Education have degree programs with offline, experiential requirements.

    View the Online Experience 

  • How long will I be online? How flexible is the class schedule?

     Plan on spending at least 2 to 6 hours per week online in class, and another 3 to 6 hours per week studying offline. Advanced courses worth an increased number of credit hours usually require more study time. Attending a professor's office hours is optional.

    Some courses also have real-time learning experiences, called seminars, which happen at the same time for all students in a section.

    If you have a military obligation that prevents you from attending a live seminar, notify your Education Advisor and professor, and obtain information about alternate assignments.

  • Does Kaplan University accept veterans education benefits?

     Yes. Kaplan University is authorized to certify VA benefits

  • Is Kaplan University a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program?
    Yellow Ribbon_s

    Yes. Kaplan University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program for our graduate programs. Because our undergraduate programs are covered by the base benefits provided by the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Yellow Ribbon Program is not needed for those degrees.

  • Are Kaplan University tuition and fees covered under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

    The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides benefits derived from the highest in-state tuition and fee rate for a public institution in a given state. For online schools, the rate is based on the state in which the school is located, not your state of residence. For students attending Kaplan University, these maximums are based on the state of Florida. Both the tuition costs and term expense maximums in the state of Florida are higher than the costs associated with Kaplan University undergraduate programs.

    For graduate programs, Kaplan University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Learn more about our Yellow Ribbon Award

  • What are the program costs for graduate programs for servicemembers?

    Kaplan University reduces graduate tuition between 17% and 30%, depending on program of study. Please visit our academic programs page and select your program of interest for more information.

  • What are the program costs for graduate programs for military veterans?

    Kaplan University reduces graduate tuition by 14% for military veterans. Please visit our academic programs page and select your program of interest for more information.

  • Does Kaplan University have a Center for Disability Services?

    Kaplan University is committed to providing opportunities for higher education to students with disabilities and to making the online programs, activities, and facilities at the University accessible to students with disabilities. All accommodations for students with disabilities are handled via the Center for Disability Services (CDS), a division of the Academic Success Center (ASC).

    Kaplan University makes every effort to provide reasonable accommodations to students presenting a documented disability. In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the implementing regulations 34 CFR part 104 (barring discrimination on the basis of disability), and the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and the implementing regulations in 29 CFR part 1630 (1992), Kaplan University has established specific guidelines for students who are enrolled in our online programs and are seeking accommodations.

    To lean more please visit the Center for Disability Services.

  • What is the Air Force's AU-ABC Program?

    The Air University Associate-to-Baccalaureate Cooperative (AU-ABC) program is designed to assist Community College of the Air Force graduates who want to pursue a bachelor’s degree to identify potential options, including how many additional credits would be required to complete the program. Please refer to the University Catalog for our Transfer of Credit policy.

    Kaplan University participates with the following programs.

    AU-ABC Program

  • Is Kaplan University part of the Community College of the Air Force's General Education Mobile (GEM)?

    Yes—Kaplan University offers a course option(s) within each of the five areas of general education. These can be completed to provide the general education requirements for an associate’s degree through the community college of the Air Force (CCAF). Visit our GEM page to learn more.

  • Has Kaplan University evaluated Coast Guard training?

    Yes—we award credit in all of the military branches and, we have recently announced special credit for medical occupations in the Coast Guard.

    Military Medical - Associate of Science in Health Science

Request More Information

To receive the Kaplan University Program Guide, including areas of study and associated career paths, please complete this information form.