• Kaplan University Admissions

    Becoming a Student at Kaplan University

    From enrollment to choosing a program to understanding funding and financial options for international students, at Kaplan University, a U.S.-based and regionally accredited institution, we take pride in the integrity of our admissions approach. It’s just one more thing that helps set us apart.

  • Admissions Requirements

    International applicants must submit evidence that they meet Kaplan University’s general admissions standards for all students. The University is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant, alien students. International applicants interested in enrolling in an online nursing, health science, or education program should contact their Admissions Advisor for information related to international availability. Not all programs are available for enrollment.

    If you are not one of the following, Kaplan University considers you an international student:

    • U.S. citizen or national;
    • U.S. permanent resident or other eligible noncitizen; or
    • Citizen of the Freely Associated States: the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands.

    In addition, you must:

    • Be at least 18 years old 
    • If applying to an onsite program, submit bank statement(s), with balance(s) converted into U.S. dollars, indicating that you or your parent/guardian has sufficient funds to cover the costs of tuition, fees, and/or living expenses for the entire program of study, or a certified government sponsor letter indicating that tuition, fees, and/or living expenses will be paid in advance of each term. If you are enrolled in English language course(s) at another institution, bank statement(s) or a certified government sponsor letter proving sufficient funds for the entire Kaplan University program can be submitted along with the Enrollment Agreement.
    • Submit all applicable fees as noted on the Enrollment Agreement and the Tuition and Fees Schedule. 
    • If enrolling in a program that includes a placement component, such as a clinical, practicum, or externship, ensure that the program of study complies with the terms of your visa.
    • Provide actual proof of secondary completion. If you reside in the United States but attended school in a foreign country, and are unable to produce the required documents, evidence may include certification from other official sources. If you cannot provide the required documentation by the end of the first term of enrollment, you will be dismissed from the University.


      English Language Requirements

       All international applicants must be proficient in English (reading, writing, and speaking) appropriate to our academic environment and to your level of study.

      If you completed high school in English, you are generally considered to have met this requirement. 

      Completing high school in English means that you completed high school or its approved equivalent:

      • In the U.S. (includes GEDs, etc.), or
      • In a country where English is the language of instruction, or
      • At a “high school” where the primary language of instruction was English

      If you do not meet one of these criteria, you may establish English proficiency by means of:

      • A transcript indicating “C-“ or higher in a college-level writing/composition course from either a regionally accredited U.S. college/university or an eligible college/university in a country on the list of countries of English instruction
      • A degree from either a regionally accredited U.S. college/university or an eligible college/university in a country on the list of countries of English instruction
      • KELPA
      • Minimum score on an external exam (TOEFL, IELTS)



      IELTS6 (no band less  than 5.5)6.5 (no band less  than 5.5)
      PTE Academic48253
      EIKENGrade 2AGrade Pre-1



      Defense Language Proficiency Test, ECL 
       Officer-Level Courses (i.e. AMEDD Captains Career Course; Principles of Mil. Prev. Med.)80%
      Selected Enlisted/Technical/Apprentice-Level Courses (i.e. 68W; 68E; 68S) 70–75%


      Additional Information

      • If applying to an onsite program, applicants must submit an enrollment fee of $100.00 U.S. with the Enrollment Agreement, which will exempt the applicant from paying administrative, application, and registration fees stated on the Tuition and Fees Schedule, if applicable. The application fee is fully refundable if the applicant decides not to complete the enrollment process or is not accepted by the University;
      • If applying to an onsite program, applicants must submit a registration fee of $100.00 U.S. Upon receipt of the Enrollment Agreement, the University will issue the appropriate paperwork to students attending a residential campus in order to apply for a student visa. If enrolled in English language course(s) at another institution, final acceptance will be contingent upon submission of the above-referenced evidence of English language proficiency and sufficient funds to cover the costs of tuition, fees, and/or living expenses for the entire University program.
      • If applying to an online program, applicants must submit a tuition deposit and/or application fee as stated on the Enrollment Agreement.
      • Applicants must submit a high school or official college transcript (as required by the program of application). Transcripts from foreign institutions must meet the same requirements as domestic institutions. Foreign transcripts must be translated into English along with an explanation of the grading scale, and evaluated for equivalency to a United States high school or college diploma by an authorized school official, appropriate outside agency, or approved foreign credential evaluator and submitted prior to enrollment. Evaluation documents must include U.S. equivalency of the degree and/or diploma, and a course-by-course equivalency evaluation if the student desires to receive credit for individual courses. For undergraduate students, any costs incurred for this service may be the responsibility of the student and may range from approximately $50.00 to $150.00 U.S. If the evaluation document indicates that a foreign institution allows a student to directly receive a postgraduate degree without conferring a bachelor’s degree, the foreign postgraduate degree may be accepted for admission to Kaplan University’s graduate programs, or advanced start bachelor’s degree programs, if the foreign postgraduate degree is equivalent to a U.S. postgraduate degree offered by an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency.

    • See Also

    Request Information

    • (optional)
    • Step 1 of 2


    • Degree Completion Promo
    • Paying For School
    • Kaplan Commitment